Traveling with your Australian Cattle Dog can be a most enjoyable and safe experience. While ACDs usually enjoy riding in vehicles and going places with their owners, they should NEVER ride in the bed of a pick-up unless they are in an airline type kennel or other suitable enclosure.
Before setting out on a long excursion by car or plane, a few preparations are necessary.
- Be sure your dog is accustomed to the crate or vehicle.
- Bring plenty of fresh drinking water and a bowl even if you are flying it is important to have water available as soon as its needed.
- Your dog should have permanent identification (tattoo or microchip) as well as visible identification such as a collar and tag.
- Bring a few plastic bags along for cleaning up after your dog (I like to pack a travel pack of wet-wipes as well)
- Don't forget the leash!
- For long trips it is a good idea to carry your dog's vaccination record as well as the name and address of your own veterinarian in case of emergency
- Pack some emergency food for your dog.
The following links offer good tips and advice.